By Edward Gahring –
The following are ten of the most important issues of which 16 to 18-year-olds need to be mindful.
1. Health – This is the most important even though you are young and strong right now. It is true if you don’t have your health, you don’t have anything. Your health affects everything you do and everything you are planning for yourself. If you can’t function and move well enough because of a health issue that could have been prevented, your life will be very limited and you need to think about what you can do now to keep yourself healthy.
2. Career Path – Where is your career going to head? It is important to have some idea of where you are going so you have an idea of where to start.
3. School – Yes, you may say you hate school but, think about it. Without a high school diploma, there are next to no job opportunities for you and you will not be able to go on for more schooling.
4. Work – It is hard to get a job right now if you are a teen. Without a history of work experience it will be even more difficult in the future. Everyone should be working at something right now. To earn your own money and pay for your expenses gives you self-respect and confidence.
5. Friends – Who your friends are is more important than how many you have. If you don’t have friends who are looking out for you, you can fall into a group of people who may take advantage of you or lead you in an unhealthy direction without even realizing it.
6. Driving – Knowing how to drive and drive safely is important to our age group because it allows you to get a job, continue a job, meet with friends and club members and allows you to have a social life. Anyone who has been in an accident or had their license taken away knows how much their life is limited by not driving.
7. Sports/Social events – On a sports team or when you are involved in a group activity, such as a club or organization, it allows you to meet new people and get a better understanding of how the world will be when you are on your own. Without something you like to do with other people, you can end up withdrawing from society much easier than if you were involved in a group activity.
8. The next President of the United States – Knowing and having an active role in electing the next President (at least voting if you are able) is important because when you leave high school, he or she will have a great effect on your life.
9. Life Skills – Doing your own laundry, paying your bills, saving money, managing a bank account are important skills to learn to be self-sufficient and successful.
10. World News – it is important to keep up with the news because reading about what goes on around you everyday can help you make up your own opinion on issues and not force you to depend on others for what to think.